At ForwardPMX, we help brands find the change to fuel business growth. We are an award-winning global brand performance agency, home to 1,000 talented people across 25 offices globally. We create unique data, technology and media solutions that enable faster and smarter problem solving and an inspired, collaborative workplace culture.
We're looking for a Senior Ruby Software Engineer (Fully Remote Working) to join the team. Rails, Ruby, React, Presto, Mesos, Docker, AWS, Distributed Systems, Terabyte Scale Data Analysis and much more... do you fancy working with any (or all) of these? We are looking for a senior-level Ruby Developer to join our team. You will be supported by our development team that is highly experienced with the majority of developers having 7+ years of professional software experience. We work with a high degree of autonomy, building tools and solutions for a wide range of business problems that get applied and tested in real life by people we work with.
A glimpse into what our developers have gotten themselves into:
- Building a real-time data analysis system
- Working with self-healing tolerant auto-scaled big data clusters
- Creating 20+ in-house custom products used by 300+ technically skilled analysts
- Maintaining a system that takes 1 billion lines of data through our ETL pipeline daily
- Spinning 200,000 Docker containers daily
When asked, our team told us that the best parts of the job are:
- Solving real problems with smart colleagues using cutting edge tech
- Opportunity to take initiative with freedom of a start-up and the resources of a bigger company
- Small team where everyone's opinion is valued
- Freedom to choose the best tools for the job
- Flexible working arrangements around core hours
About the Role:
We’re hiring a Senior Software Engineer to take our products to the next level of scale.
As a Senior Software Engineer at ForwardPMX your main responsibilities will be:
- You’ll act as a hands-on mentor who can lead teammates by example
- You will keep the quality bar high by continuously evolving the system while keeping it simple
- You will focus on having the highest impact on the product
- You will work closely with the Principal Lead and the other engineers in your team to define the appropriate technical approach, metrics, and timelines.
- You will have your say in the product roadmap and help the team to make the most informed decisions to break down complex tech deliverables into simple and understandable one.
Quality is key for us, so you will ensure all product components are built to an appropriate level of quality for the stage (alpha/beta/production), deliver products using the appropriate level of testing and monitoring, fail fast, and learn and iterate frequently.
- What we expect you to already have is goodwill, as well as a deep understanding of full-stack software development life-cycle, DevOps methodologies, testing, and tooling. In short, please apply if you are interested in working with our stack!
- We’ll ask you about your previous experiences building large and complex high-throughput web systems, and we’ll hear the stories you’ll be willing to share about microservices, event-driven architectures, databases, or any tech challenge you’ve enjoyed.
- We’ll want to know how you went about improving the quality, security, scalability, and observability of the products you worked on.
- DevOps practices are an integral part of our culture, and we’ll want to hear what aspect of them you prefer, and what worked well for you out of the box, or how you adapted them to your needs.
- Long commercial Ruby background with strong programming skills
- Experience of working closely with business teams when building products
- Operational experience in utilising the systems available at Amazon Web Service
- Pro-active in suggesting new tools, processes and technologies and ways of working
- Being hands-on with code in developing our products using best practices, appropriate tools and technologies
- Ability to create services using micro-service architecture pattern
- Ability to work independently, effectively and efficiently
In addition to
- Ability to see the bigger picture while focused on small details
- Believer in infrastructure as code
- Ability to pick up new technologies and languages by having a play
- Manipulating high volumes of data from many remote sources
- Experience in different languages than Ruby and other programming paradigms (Functional, Event-Driven)
In return for your enthusiasm and expertise, we’ll reward you with a competitive salary and an enviable range of flexible benefits.
Our ForwardPMX Thinking...
ForwardPMX is an advocate for equal opportunity in the workplace. We are committed to ensuring equal opportunities regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability and gender identity. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know