Well, hello there
We're Screencastify, the #1 screen recorder for Chrome. More than 12 million people use Screencastify every week (!!!) to record, edit and share all sorts of amazing videos. We like to think that we've democratized video creation by making it simpler and more affordable than ever before.
In K-12 classrooms around the world, teachers and students are using Screencastify to create instructional videos, record presentations, give better feedback, and much much more. Our free version is used in more than 70% of US school districts.
About the role
We built the simplest and most reliable screen recorder in the world, but that’s only the beginning. Our near future is full of ambitious new goals, features, and products that will enable us to further improve how we provide service to our users and accelerate our already fast growth.
We prioritize fast iteration without compromising quality while maintaining an attention to detail that creates the kind of delightful interactions we’re known for. We’re looking for an experienced, compassionate, and thoughtful engineer to build effective tools for video in the classroom.
Why is this role special?
- Create products that will advance education. Schools and districts around the world depend on Screencastify to digitize their curriculum and communication. The need for and benefit of video-based learning has never been more clear than it is now.
- Work with an extremely talented team. A team of less than 5 built a product used by millions of people. We've achieved more than teams 10x our size by solving problems that matter and putting product quality above all else.
- Tackle our most interesting and impactful problems. Our team is still small, and people wear many hats. You'd jump between product, marketing, internal tools, design — participating in every phase from inception to implementation. Absolutely no boredom.
- Join us at a magical time. We're profitable and support tens of millions of users with a small team, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'll join at the perfect time to shape how we grow from here.
What you’ll do:
- Build new product features from start to finish: through conception, research, maintenance, and polish
- Familiarize yourself with browser APIs for recording and processing video
- Build improvements to performance, reliability, and product polish
- Build and improve processes and internal tools with simplicity and productivity in mind
You’re perfect for this role if you:
- Have 4-6+ years building and maintaining quality user interfaces that have reached a large audience, ideally while the product is experiencing rapid growth
- Have experience developing full-stack with Node.js, Angular, React, or similar
- Can readily learn most technologies as you go
- Care about the business implications of anything you build. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Are flexible, dedicated, and curious
- Competitive compensation. We take a data-driven approach to our compensation strategy so all employees are paid competitively and equitably.
- 401k plan. We want to invest in present you and future you, which is why we offer a generous 401k match with our 401k plan.
- Minimum vacation policy. We recognize the importance of taking personal time off, and require our employees to take at least 15 vacation days per year. You’re also encouraged to take additional paid time off, as needed.
- Flexible work policy. Gone are the days of being in an office from 9-5, Monday through Friday. We recognize there are better ways to measure productivity than counting the number of hours you’re in the office and that sometimes the office isn’t the best place to be productive.
- Parental leave. Generous paid time off for parents to bond with the newest addition to their family!
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance. We cover 100% of employee medical premiums and 50% of employee dental & vision premiums. Plus, all employees receive a free One Medical membership.
- Professional development. Each department has a professional development budget and employees are encouraged to take workshops, attend webinars, join associations, and anything else that could help grow their careers. Did we also mention employees get free access to Udemy for Business?
- Divvy bike membership. If you’re in Chicago, take advantage of an annual Divvy membership -- on us.