About the role
Screencastify is in hyper-growth mode. Over the past year, our engineering team has consistently delivered high quality, reliable new features and products to the millions of teachers and students who depend on us. Despite their headcount more than tripling, the team has remained organized, laser-focused and committed to the highest standards of software development.
As they continue to innovate and improve the product, the engineering team is seeking its first VP to help guide them through our fast-paced environment. In this role, you’ll implement strategies that help us continue to scale, proactively identify and devise solutions to future challenges, and foster a high performing culture which attracts a diverse spectrum of top engineering talent.
Why is the role special?
- You’ll have a big impact. The future of the engineering team at Screencastify will be deeply influenced by your vision. You’ll work closely with the CTO and CEO, who will help guide you as you execute it.
- You’re set up for success. You’ll be joining a company full of people who are acutely aware of (and excited about!) how much you’ll improve their productivity and career development. So you’ll have all the support you’ll need.
- You’ll be boarding a rocketship. Screencastify has experienced meteoric growth over the past year. If done well, you’ll play a critical role in setting our sights away from the moon and towards Mars.
- Join us at a magical time. We're bootstrapped, profitable, and support tens of millions of users, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'll join at the perfect time to shape how we grow from here.
What you'll do:
- Own and communicate the goals, focus, and vision for the engineering department
- Build our medium- and long-term technical plans and priorities (e.g. what is our approach to addressing tech debt over time?)
- Scale the engineering team to about 50 people by the end of 2022, owning the department’s hiring roadmap and org chart design
- Balance the competing interests of your department with those of leadership and other departments, always making decisions with the company’s best interests in mind
- Craft our engineering employer brand strategy to create a strong pipeline of top engineering talent
- Coach and provide career development guidance and opportunities for the Director of Engineering, Engineering Managers, and other (current and future) department leaders
- Work with leaders in other departments to develop company strategy and product strategy
- Ensure infrastructure and development meet the security, scalability, maintainability and cost-efficiency needs of the product
You’re perfect for this role if you:
- Have 4+ years of experience in a senior engineering leadership role (Director +)
- Have grown an engineering team from fewer than 25 to more than 50
- Have worked on, or managed teams who have worked on, products with millions of users
- Care deeply about product quality, reliability, and scalability
- Are passionate about the people and culture side of engineering teams
Our tech stack:
- Languages: Typescript, some Python
- Frameworks: Angular, Nestjs / Nodejs
- Database: Firestore / Datastore
- Hosting: GAE, Cloud Run, K8s
- CI/CD: Github Actions, Circle CI
- Task queues: Pub/Sub / K8s
Familiarity with our stack is a bonus, but not required.
Competitive compensation. We take a data-driven approach to our compensation strategy so all employees are paid competitively and equitably.
401k plan + match. We want to invest in present you and future you, which is why we offer a generous 401k match with our 401k plan.
Minimum vacation policy. We recognize the importance of taking personal time off, and require our employees to take at least 15 vacation days per year. You’re also encouraged to take additional paid time off, as needed.
Flexible work policy. Gone are the days of being in an office from 9-5, Monday through Friday. We recognize there are better ways to measure productivity than counting the number of hours you’re in the office and that sometimes the office isn’t the best place to be productive.
Parental leave. Generous paid time off for parents to bond with the newest addition to their family!
Medical, dental, and vision insurance. We cover 100% of employee medical premiums and 50% of employee dental & vision premiums. Plus, all employees receive a free One Medical membership.
Professional development. Each department has a professional development budget and employees are encouraged to take workshops, attend webinars, join associations, and anything else that could help grow their careers. Did we also mention employees get free access to Udemy for Business?
Divvy bike membership. If you’re in Chicago, take advantage of an annual Divvy membership -- on us.